When two bodies like a shaft and bearing rub against each other they produce an enormous amount of heat that can, if not controlled, lead to catastrophic events. It happens due to the natural force of friction produced during such event. Friction not only leads to heat but it can also halt the motion of the machinery and thus lubrication is important. Following points will tell you the need of the lubrication:
- Reduce the force of friction generated due to the motion.
- Reduce the amount of wear-and-tear happened due to operations.
- Reduce the corrosion of the hardware surface.
- Help in reducing the contamination of the machinery.
In a nutshell, choosing an appropriate lubricant as per the material and operational needs of your machine can help your machines to operate smoothly for a long time.
Once you have selected the lubricant, a proper use in a proper amount is crucial. Too little or too much of lubrication can lead to problems. This is where Lubrication System comes into action.
The Lubrication System is a pivotal system used for the storage and the application of the lubricants. It consists of:
- The feeder, helping in the application of lubricant.
- The container, containing the lubricant in a completely sealed environment.
- The distributor, distributing the controlled amount of lubricant.
- The monitoring units, pressure switch and other control units, controlling and monitoring the entire working of the Lubrication System.
- Other fittings and extra accessories, assisting the proper working of the Lubrication System.
With all these major components, Lubrication System can either be portable like the hand-operated pumps or internal as found in the automobiles.
Types of the Lubrication System
A.T.E. provides the following different types of Lubrication Systems:
- Portable and hand operated pumps that are suited for sites with compressed air or no electricity.
- Air operated pumps helping to transfer the heavy duty grease at a high pressure.
- DC battery automatic pumps used for the heavy construction machinery.
- Air operated dispensers used either manually or automatically for discharging a precise amount of grease.
How to choose the proper Lubrication System?
With all these types, there are various features that we should look at while selecting the Lubrication System of our choice.
- The material that is used for construction should be checked.
- The system should be completely sealed so that there is no leakage and no contamination of the lubricant. Such systems can also be used to carry the lubricant from one place to another.
- The site and the machinery play an important role while you are choosing the pump. For a heavy machine, you may need a DC powered lubrication pump. Whereas for a machine with lack of electricity and compressed air you may need a hand-operated and portable system.
Lubrication is necessary for the proper working of the machinery and Lubrication System is necessary for the proper application of the lubricant. One should carefully choose the lubricant and Lubrication System based on the type of machine, the area of application, operation principle and temperature range. It not only help in proper working of the machine but also ensures safety.